Click here to view the Neighbourhood Plan Privacy Notice
The Examiner has now issued his report on the Neighbourhood Plan. In summary he has concluded that:
1 Subject to the recommendations within this Report, made in respect of enabling the Sherston Neighbourhood Plan to meet the basic conditions, I confirm that:
• Having regard to national policies and advice contained in guidance issued by the Secretary of State it is appropriate to make the neighbourhood plan;
• The making of the neighbourhood plan contributes to the achievement of sustainable development;
• The making of the neighbourhood plan is in general conformity with the strategic policies contained in the development plan for the area of the authority (or any part of that area);
• The making of the neighbourhood plan does not breach, and is otherwise compatible with, European Union (EU) obligations; and
• The making of the neighbourhood plan is not likely to have a significant effect on a European site or a European offshore marine site, either alone or in combination with other plans or projects.
2 Taking the above into account, I find that the Sherston Neighbourhood Plan meets the basic conditions and I recommend to Wiltshire Council that, subject to modifications, it should proceed to Referendum.
Wiltshire Council has recently appointed an experienced Examiner to carry out an independent examination of the neighbourhood plan. A copy of the plan and all the supporting information, together with a copy of the comments received during the publicity period, have been sent to the independent examiner. The independent examination is to be conducted by written representations.
The independent examiner will only consider whether the proposed neighbourhood plan meets the basic conditions and other requirements set out by law. He is not permitted to explore other considerations. The examiner will therefore be considering whether the plan:
• has appropriate regard to national policy
• contributes to the achievement of sustainable development
• is in general conformity with the strategic policies in the development plan for the local area
• is compatible with EU obligations
• meets human rights requirements.
Following the examination, a report will be issued to both Wiltshire Council and Sherston Parish Council. If the plan meets the basic conditions, the examiner will recommend that the plan proceed to the referendum stage. He may suggest modifications that are needed to be made to the plan, to ensure that it meets the basic conditions, before it can proceed to the referendum. It is the responsibility of the local authority to make such modifications. The examiner may alternatively conclude that the plan does not meet the basic conditions and that modification to make it meet the basic conditions is not possible. In that situation the examiner would recommend that the plan does not proceed to a referendum.
Sherston Neighbourhood Development Plan Consultation Letter
I am writing to inform you that Sherston Parish Council have submitted the Sherston Neighbourhood Development Plan to Wiltshire Council. Wiltshire Council will be coordinating a public consultation on this document between Monday 1st October and Monday 12th November 2018.
The Sherston Neighbourhood Development Plan submission can be viewed and commented on from the Wiltshire Council consultation portal.
Alternatively, paper copies of the Sherston Neighbourhood Plan and supporting documents are available at the following locations:
Sherston Post Office and Stores
The Old School
The Tolsey Surgery
The Angel Hotel
Church of the Holy Cross
Comment forms can also be collected from these locations, and returned by email to
or by post to the address:
Economic Development and Planning
Please ensure that any comments on the Neighbourhood Plan are received by Wiltshire Council no later than 5pm on Monday 12th November 2018.
Please be aware that all representations will be publicly available and may also appear on the Wiltshire Council website.
Following this consultation the comments received will be passed to an independent examiner, to be appointed by the council, who will consider the representations and recommend whether the Neighbourhood Plan should be put to a community referendum.
1. Sherston Neighbourhood Plan Final Draft August 2018
2. Sherston Neighbourhood Plan Basic Conditions Statement August 2018
3. Sherston Neighbourhood Plan Consultation Statement August 2018
4. Sherston Neighbourhood Plan Sustainability Assessment Scoping Report Final Version
5. Sherston Neighbourhood Plan Sustainability Assessment Final version August 2018
The following additional supporting documents are available for you to view online
6. Wiltshire Core Strategy
7. Wiltshire Housing Land Supply 2016
8. Wiltshire Parish Population Statistics 2001 to 2011
9. Malmesbury Census 2011 Selected Statistics
10. National Character Area - Cotswolds
11. Sherston Housing Needs Survey 2012
12. Foxley Tagg Site Assessments
13. Foxley Tagg Evidence Summary
14. Copy Steering Group Minutes
15. Seymour Chartered Surveyors Site 1 Viability Assessment Full Report
16. Seymour Chartered Surveyors Site 1 Viability Assessment Executive Summary
17. Wiltshire Council Report on Site 1 proposals – November 2016
18. Arup Site 1 High Level Traffic Impact Assessment
19. Report on Site 1 prepared by LRM Planning
20. Report on Sherston sports facilities
21. Landscape Appraisal - Sopworth Lane site
22. Sherston Neighbourhood Plan HRA screening Final - July 2018
23. Sherston Transport Statement - Sopworth Lane site
24. Sopworth Lane Ecological Appraisal - Open Version
25. Sopworth Lane site - Heritage Assessment
26. The Vicarage Sherston Heritage Impact Assessment July 2018 14359
27. Sherston Neighbourhood Plan Heritage matters email from Guy Bentham Hill
During which all of the comments received by the Steering Group by the end of the consultation period were fully considered and a decision made whether or not to amend the neighbourhood plan.
This stage was completed in August 2018. Full details to be found in the report attached to the Minutes of the Steering Group meeting held on 13th August 2018.
The consultation period on the first draft plan ended on Monday 9th April 2018.
Pre submission consultation of the draft plan.
Your opportunity to comment
Consultation period closes at noon on Monday 9th April 2018
The policies contained within the draft plan reflect the views of the community obtained over the last few years at a succession of workshops and other public events as well as through a number of questionnaire surveys. The policies set out in the draft plan are not final. The Steering Group is keen to hear the views of local residents, businesses and other interested parties on the draft plan before the plan is finalised.
The consultation period will run from 22nd February 2018 until 9th April 2018. The Neighbourhood Plan Regulations require the consultation period to run for a minimum of six weeks and all comments received during this time period have to be taken into account when finalising the plan.
Minutes : 13th August 2018 at 7.30pm
Previous meetings also available in PDF format:
Result of Neighbourhood Plan questionnaire Survey Jan 2017 Click here
Representatives from Sherston Parish Council, together with representatives from other local community and local interest groups joined together to form The Sherston Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group. This steering group is developing the Sherston Area Neighbourhood Plan. The Sherston Area Neighbourhood Plan is being subject to Strategic Environmental Assessment to meet the requirements of EU Directive 2001/42/EC and transposing Regulations. The Scoping Report was made available to the public and comments welcome. Thank you for the valuable local comments regarding the Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report. This consultation closed on the 6th April 2012
Housing Numbers Board
- What is the housingtarget for Sherston?
- How many homes should be built in Sherston?
SNP Protected Sites
Sites, facilities and premises to be protected from developement.
Updated 21st September 2014
Site Options Poster - incorporating summary analysis
SWOT analysis with comments- all option sites
Updated 4th September 2014
SNP Potential Development Sites - all sites considered Sept 2014
at meeting held on 17th June 2014
Presentations of Saturday 20th September 2014